What is Glaucoma?
Glaucoma is an incurable vision problem whereas the optic nerve has become damaged and blurriness and loss of vision are the results. While it cannot be cured, there 3 treatment options to help stop the damage to the optic nerve, so you can preserve what is left of your vision.
Medicines to Treat Glaucoma
Medicines that help glaucoma which allows the fluid to regularly drain from your eyes and reduce the pressure you feel in them include:
- Nitric oxides.
- Cholinergic agents.
- Rho kinase inhibitor.
Medicines that reduce the fluid in your eye, so they are not as wet include:
- Carbonic anhydrase inhibitors.
- Alpha-adrenergic agonists.
- Beta blockers.
Glaucoma Laser Treatments
Glaucoma laser treatments will help to drain the eyes’ extra fluids with use of a laser. You will experience the following steps when receiving a glaucoma laser treatment for open-angle glaucoma.
- The doctor will put as many eye drops in your eyes as possible to make them numb and ready for the treatment.
- You will sit in front of the laser machine where the doctor will aim the laser at one eye at a time to drain the fluid.
- You may have both eyes treated the same day.
- Your eyes could be treated on separate days. This is all dependent on your personal treatment plan that you have discussed with your doctor.
You must be asking, “Is there a glaucoma treatment near me that does glaucoma surgery?”. Yes! Your Raleigh eye doctor can conduct a glaucoma surgery for you by:
- Undergoing a glaucoma implant surgery where you can get a tube in your eyes that manually drains fluid from them.
- Getting a trabeculectomy if you suffer from open-angle glaucoma.
Schedule An Appointment Today!
Get in touch with our local glaucoma doctor in Raleigh NC today! We are accepting new patient and look forward to servicing your eye health needs. Give us a call or get in touch with us online to schedule an appointment.
Find out more about glaucoma by visiting The National Eye Institute website.