Today, almost every type of work involves using a computer. Many workers spend a good part of their day at the computer screen, and this can cause a number of eye and vision problems. Your Raleigh eye doctor can help with computer eye safety tips for reducing discomfort from constant computer use.
Common Computer Vision Problems
Individuals who spend long hours at the computer often find they begin to experience blurry vision as the day goes on. Double vision is also common. Many people develop dry eye problems because of reduced blinking while looking at the screen. Eyes may become reddened or feel irritated. Headaches, neck pain and upper back pain can occur from holding the head in the same position for a long period.
Computer Eye Safety Tips
To reduce eyestrain from computer use, implement these eye comfort tips every day:
- Follow the 20-20-20 rule—every 20 seconds, look at an object 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds.
- Adjust your computer screen to sit about 25 inches, about an arm’s length, away from your face, and tilt the screen about 10 to 15 degrees below your eye level.
- Take a 15-minute break from looking at the screen every few hours.
- A matte screen filter will help to reduce glare and eye fatigue.
- Make sure the lighting in your work area is bright enough to prevent the screen from dominating your vision.
- Use artificial tears to keep your eyes from becoming dry.
- If you need improved vision for your work, see your local eye doctor for special glasses.
If you find you are experiencing discomfort or blurry vision during your computer work, you can take steps to reduce these problems.
Your local eye doctor can offer a variety of methods to make working on a computer throughout the day less taxing.
Contact our office to meet with a Raleigh eye doctor who can help you do your computer work more easily and more comfortably.