Keeping your vision healthy is important for functioning in your daily life. When you have a full schedule and cannot visit your Raleigh NC eye doctor, you can conduct your own home vision test.
There are two types of eye vision tests that you can do: the Amsler Chart and the Eye Chart. Try both tests to get the best overview of your eye health’s status.
1. The Amsler Chart
The Amsler Chart involves a grid with small square boxes and a central dot in the very middle.
- Print the page from the American Macular Degeneration Foundation (AMDF) website.
- Affix the chart on a wall in your home.
- Put on your reading glasses (if needed).
- Cover your left eye.
- Set your focus directly on the black dot in the middle with your right eye.
- Take note of any lines on the grid where you see are not there or not clear.
- Mark your finding the chart with a pen and label “R” for right eye. This will be a reference tool to show to your eye doctor in Raleigh NC.
- Perform the same steps, but cover your right eye this time and perform the test with your left eye.
If you find any defects in one or more of your eyes, schedule an appointment by doing a Google search for “eye doctors near me” to diagnose your vision problem as soon as possible.
2. Eye Chart
Yes, there’s an Eye Chart online just like at your doctor’s office. You can use the Eye Chart to test whether you have 20/20 vision, if you are nearsighted, or if you are farsighted.
- Print the Eye Chart on standard sized printer paper.
- Affix the chart to a wall in your home.
- Use a tape measure to step 10 feet back from the chart.
- Ask a family member or friend to help you with this test.
- Cover one of your eyes.
- Have your helper point to each letter on the chart and keep track of the ones you said correctly.
- Note for your records which line of the smallest letters that you got the most letters correct.
Look to the left of the line number in which you got the most letters correct and you will find your vision status. For example, if you said the letters in line 9 the most correctly, then you have 20/20 vision.
If you do not have 20/20 vision and do not have reading glasses or contacts, Google “eye doctors near me” to get connected with a Raleigh NC optometrist.
We Are Open for New Patients!
After you have conducted these home vision tests, schedule an appointment at your eye doctor in Raleigh NC as soon as you can to be sure your eyes are in good health. We will guide you on next steps if a vision problem surfaces for you.