Do you know the proper ways to take care of your eyes? Raleigh Eye Center is here to help you maintain optimal vision health, so that you can see clearly for years to come. Follow these five simple tips to keep your eyesight in tip-top shape.
- Take out your contacts before you go to sleep. Forgetting to take out your contacts before you go to bed can be harmful on your vision. Leaving them in too long can cause your eyes to become red and may even lead to a corneal infection. TIP: Try using a few lubricating eye drops before removing your contact lenses at night. This will relieve any dryness and make them easier to remove.
- Put down the computer. If you spend all day and night on your computer and your eyes seem dry and tired, it may be due to Computer Vision Syndrome (CVS). To prevent CVS, try to take frequent breaks in between your computer usage. TIP: Putting your computer or phone down 45 to 60 minutes before you go to sleep will encourage your body to produce more melatonin and allow your brain to rest.
- Resist rubbing your eyes. Rubbing your eyes when they are feeling strained or itchy can increase the chances of inducing astigmatism or changes to the cornea. TIP: If you are rubbing your eyes due to allergies, try using lubricating eye drops or applying a cool compress to the eyes instead.
- Buy sunglasses with UV protection. When you expose your eyes to UV radiation, it can age them prematurely, and may even lead to cataracts, cancer or age-related macular degeneration. Buying sunglasses with UV protection will shield them from the harsh rays of the sun. TIP: If you wear contact lenses, buy lenses with Class 1 or Class 2 UV protection.
- Keep your makeup brushes clean. Over time, makeup brushes can accumulate bacteria. This bacteria can cause styes, infections of the eyelids, pink eye and conjunctivitis. This is why it’s very important to wash your makeup brushes at least once a month with mild soap and water. TIP: Replace your mascara every four to six months and eyeshadows every year.
Schedule an Appointment with Raleigh Eye Center
If you are looking for additional tips on how to maintain optimal vision health in Raleigh, schedule an appointment with one of the optometrists at Raleigh Eye Center. We would be happy to give you more information on how to keep your eyesight clear.