Did you know that 93% of communication is nonverbal? Eyes play a big role in this number, as they can tell a lot about a person. Here are five things that eye contact can tell you if you pay close enough attention:
- State of attraction. When someone you are interested in stares at you, it can be interpreted positively. However, eye contact is not always a positive or wanted thing. Sometimes, you notice a stranger staring at you, and it can be seen as a threat.
- Real smiles vs. fake smiles. Eyes can tell you a lot about a person, especially if they are faking a smile or not. When a real smile is formed, the eyes narrow and create lines at the outer corners.
- Dilated pupils can be a sign of interest. When you are interested in someone or something, your pupils will dilate.
- Liars engage in more eye contact than someone who is telling the truth. This is because liars want to try and convince the person they are deceiving that they are being truthful, so they tend to “overdo” eye contact.
- Mutual eye contact is a sign of being “in love.” A good predictor of two individuals being “in love” is mutual gaze.
Learn More About Your Eyes & How You Can Achieve the Best Possible Vision
To learn more about your vision, schedule an appointment with an optometrist at Raleigh Eye Center. We can help you achieve optimal vision. Not only will an eye exam keep your eyes healthy, but good eyesight will help you feel confident.