According to Mashable, a recent study by the Vision Council states that 68% of millennials suffer from digital eye strain. If you spend at least nine hours staring at a screen or digital device every day, you could also be at risk for this condition. How is this condition avoidable due to the fact that many of us spend our working hours in front of screens?
Digital eye strain can be caused by a variety of reasons, but the most common cause is staring at a glowing display that features blue light or “HEV” light, whether it be a laptop screen, tablet or phone, for long periods of times. Other leading causes include staring at small print and blurry images.
How do you know if you are suffering from digital eye strain? Common symptoms include:
- Watery eyes
- Blurry vision
- Eye fatigue
- Red, dry or irritated eyes
Ways That You Can Combat Digital Eye Strain
If you think you may be suffering from this eye condition, not to worry, Raleigh Eye Center is here to share a few ways that you can combat digital eye strain:
- Take breaks from staring at your computer screen as often as possible
- Adjust the display settings on your screen, so that you are not straining your eyes to see or read anything
- Include an anti-glare screen on your computer monitor
- Make sure the brightness on your screen is the same as the light levels in the room you are in
- Talk to your optician about a lens finish or coating you can put on your glasses that will help reduce digital eye strain
If you have tried the above solutions and still feel like your eyes are straining when staring at a digital screen or display, call our experts at Raleigh Eye Center today. We would be happy to schedule an appointment to help you combat this condition.