Feeling comfortable with who will be performing your LASIK procedure is important. You are putting your vision in their hands. With this responsibility comes the right to ask questions of them. Just as they are determining if you are a good LASIK candidate, so too should you be determining if they are the right LASIK surgeon for you. Last week we discussed why you should not choose a surgeon solely based upon price. This week we will discuss the questions you should ask any potential LASIK surgeon before making a final decision. So print out this blog and bring it to your next appointment (or appointments).
- How many procedures have you performed?
- What is your complication rate?
- What is your enhancement (retreatment) rate?
- Where is the procedure performed?
- Have you had an outbreak of a serious eye infection? If so, what was the cause?
- Do you charge extra for enhancements when they are needed? If so, is there a discounted rate offered?
- What percentage of your day is devoted to LASIK/PRK?
- What equipment will you be using during my procedure? At Raleigh Eye Center, we use an Allegretto laser.
- What is included in the price? This may be a question you ask of the LASIK coordinator.
- Will you provide me with the names and contact information for several patients that had the same surgery with a similar refractive error.
When asking these questions, pay attention to the way the surgeon makes you feel. If you do not feel comfortable with the surgeon and the team at the practice, go elsewhere. You should be confident that you are choosing the best surgeon for you. You should also not feel obligated to move forward with a surgeon following a consultation, even if you have invested a little money in the appointment. Second opinions are quite common within the medical industry and any doubts you have should be removed prior to scheduling surgery. If you would like to schedule a consultation with Dr. James Kiley at Raleigh Eye Center, call us today at (919) 876-2427.